Final Sunday Night Football game of the regular 2007 season, featuring the Indianapolis Colts and the Tennessee Titans. Running back Chris Brown of the Titans made the first touchdown of the game near the middle of the first quarter. The Colts get a field goal in the top of the second quarter. The third quarter allowed the Colts to get into the lead with a touchdown by wide receiver Craphonso Thorpe. At the bottom of the third quarter, the Titans’ field goal tied the game 10-10. The Titans broke the tie with a field goal in the middle of the fourth quarter and increased the lead towards the bottom of the quarter also with a field goal. Final score Titans 16 and Colts 10. Tennessee is going to the Playoffs.
Observations & Miscellania:
1. As the teams ran onto the field and Al Michaels started his opening monologue, the cameras caught several glimpses of the fans in the stands, including many little, skinny boys–all Colts fans.
2. Today’s game marked Peyton Manning’s 160th straight quarterback start.
3. John Madden noted towards the bottom of the first quarter (regarding the drive after the Titans recovered a fumbled Colts ball): “with zone blocking, you gotta get good penetration.” During the following Titans kick-off to the Colts, Madden added “at the line of scrimmage, you wanna get good penetration.” Again, easily misinterpreted.
4. Jim Sorgi took over quarterbacking duties for the Colts in the second half of the game.
5. Colts defensive tackle Darrell Reid plowed into the Titans running back Chris Henry. The collision was replayed half a dozen times (in real time and in slow-motion). John Madden even asked something along the lines of “wanna see that again?” after the commercial break.
Get game summary, stats, and play by play here.