The Philadelphia Eagles parked their flock of feathers on the trellis of the New York Giants’ garden. They both want to go to the NFC Championship. Broadcast on Fox, the first quarter began with the Giants and a field goal. New York 3 and Philadelphia 0. Halfway through the first quarter, Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel intercepted Giants quarterback Eli Manning’s pass and ran the ball into the red zone. Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb broke the goal line eventually for a touchdown. Philadelphia 7 and New York 3.
The second quarter started with the Giants getting a safety. Philadelphia 7 and New York 5. Five or so minutes later, Giants kicker John Carney missed a forty-six yard field goal. Towards the bottom of the quarter, Donovan McNabb’s throw (3rd and 9 on the NY 41) landed in the bosom of Giants cornerback Kevin Dockery. John Carney made the field goal in the bottom of the quarter. New York 8 and Philadelphia 7. Going into halftime, Eagles kicker David Akers and a twenty-five yard field goal was good. Philadelphia 10 and New York 8.
The third quarter started off with a forty-six yard kickoff-return by Eagles safety Quintin Demps. And then, d’oh! Turnover. Giants defensive tackle Fred Robbins spirited the ball away on the next play; Eagles wide receiver Kevin Curtis had to bring him down. A field goal later, the Giants took the lead by one point. 11 to 10. The Eagles flung up a field goal of their own for the lead again. 13 to 11. John Carney missed a forty-seven yard field goal with about four minutes of play left.
The Eagles extended their lead with a tight end Brent Celek TD catch in the top of the quarter. Philadelphia 20 and New York 11. Another Eagles field goal towards the bottom of the quarter put the score to Philadelphia 23 and New York 11. Eli Manning threw a second interception shortly thereafter. Eagles safety Quintin Mikell got his hands on the ball. Another turnover with under a minute to play. Philadelphia 23 and New York 11. Final score. Numerically a first? The Eagles are going to the NFC Championship. Wahoo!
Observations & Miscellania:
1. Joe Buck and Troy Aikman were the commentators.
2. The temperature at the Meadowlands today was thirty degrees. The Giants sat on the sunny side of the field. The Eagles sat in the shadow.
3. By the middle of the second quarter, Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora was on the sidelines supporting his teammates. He was wearing a dark gray/light black suit, v-neck sweater (vest), and chewing ice blue gum. He had to sit most of the season out due to a knee injury in late August.
4. Bottom of the third quarter. Donovan McNabb attempted to connect with Kevin Curtis. The sideline judge threw down the yellow flag for pass interference on Giants cornerback Corey Webster. The foul was retracted after the officials had a discussion. On the next play, McNabb linked up with tight end LJ Smith. Giantslinebacker Antonio Pierce was cited for a face mask penalty. Specifically, I believe the the referee said “major face mask.”
5. Before cutting to commercial in the bottom of the fourth quarter (after the two-minute warning), the camera cut to an extreme close-up of a male Giants fan, probably in his thirties…asleep. He wore a blue ski-cap, had half his face painted, and he was asleep. His friends aren’t going to let him live it down.
Get game summary, stats, and play-by-play here.