The Buffalo Bills shed of some wintry accoutrements as they plod south to play the Atlanta Falcons. Broadcast on CBS, the Bills took to offense first. Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan’s first throw of the day at the top of the first quarter was a forty-two yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Roddy White. Atlanta 7 and Buffalo 0.
The second quarter began with kicker Matt Bryant making a fifty-some-odd yard field goal. Atlanta 10 and Buffalo 0. Bills quarterback Bill Brohm threw an interception nearing the middle of the second quarter. The ball sailed into the end zone, headed into the bosom of Bills wide receiver Terrell Owens but was nabbed by Falcons cornerback Chris Owens. No score for the Falcons. Matt Bryant went onto the field in the final seconds of the second quarter to try a fifty-five yard field goal. The Bills blocked the attempt and played a series of hot potato all the way back up the field into the end zone. An official booth review confirmed the initial ruling that cornerback Reggie Corner’s knee was down before he got rid of the ball. Thus, saftey George Wilson’s run into the end zone did not count.
The third quarter tick-tocked to about seven minutes when Matt Ryan threw a TD pass to wide receiver Marty Booker. Atlanta 17 and Buffalo 0. Upon returning from commercial break, Falcons defensive end Kroy Biermann kicked the ball away to the Bills. Just two or three plays later, Falcons defensive end Lawrence Sidbury snatched the ball from Bills running back Fred Jackson’s hands and, with Bills defensive players dragging him down, got into the end zone for a touchdown. Atlanta 24 and Buffalo 0. Biermann kicked the ball away again. The Bills finally got onto the score board in the bottom of the quarter with a forty-some-odd yard field goal. Atlanta 24 and Buffalo 3.
The fourth quarter was scoreless until the clock got down to four minutes–Matt Ryan and Roddy White connected again for a TD. When the Bills returned to offense, Falcons cornerback Brent Grimes intercepted Brohm. Chris Redman stepped in as QB for the duration of the game for the Falcons. Atlanta 31 and Buffalo 3. Final score.
Observations & Miscellania:
1. Bill Macatee and Steve Beuerlein were the commentators today.
2. After returning from commercial break in the top of the second quarter, Terrell Owens was featured in a medium shot cutting his finger nails.
4. I dreamed of Matt Ryan this morning. I took a photograph of him in sepia-and-white. He looked like he had just gone surfing.
5. According to the commentators, Kroy Biermann kicked pretty well in the middle of the third quarter. He got the ball to the three-yard line.
6. Falcons defensive end Jamaal Anderson got some camera time as he was shown, in medium close-up, sitting next to Michael Turner on the sidelines.
Get game summary, stats, and play-by-play here.