The Ohio State Buckeyes and the Oregon Ducks clipped and collided with each other for Rose Bowl bragging rights today. Broadcast on ABC, the Buckeyes started on offense in the first quarter. Running back Brandon Saine made a touchdown four minutes into the game. There was no more scoring until the bottom of the quarter with a Buckeyes field goal. Ohio State 10 and Oregon 0.
The Ducks put themselves on the board with a field goal in the top of the second quarter. Ohio State 10 and Oregon 3. Ducks running back LaGarrette Blount may or may not have broken the plane for a TD in the middle of the second quarter. After the official booth review, yes he did. Ohio State 10 and Oregon 10. The Buckeyes’ attempt to get another TD before halftime was unsuccesful so they hit a field goal instead. Ohio State 13 and Oregon 10. What was surely going to be a Ducks score closing the second quarter suddenly wasn’t anymore when Buckeyes linebacker Ross Homan intercepted Ducks quarterback Jeremiah Masoli. The second quarter ended with three more points for the Buckeyes. Ohio State 16 and Oregon 10.
The Ducks quarterback made a touchdown four minutes into the third quarter. Oregon 17 and Ohio State 16. In the middle of the quarter, the Buckeyes got back atop the score board with a field goal. Ohio State 19 and Oregon 17. The Ducks fumbled the ball not long after they got a turn on offense. The Buckeyes recovered. Quarterback Terrelle Pryor was intercepted by Ducks John Boyett. Oregon didn’t do anything numerically consequential wit the turnover. The score was still 19 to 17 with Ohio in the lead when the quarter ended.
Halfway into the fourth quarter, Buckeyes wide receiver DeVier Posey made a TD catch in the left edge of the end zone. There was a failed Ducks field goal attempt with five minutes left to play. Ohio State 26 and Oregon 17. Final score. The Ohio State Buckeyes got themselves a 2009 Rose Bowl.
Observations & Miscellania:
1.Kirk Herbstreit and Brent Musberger provided commentary.
3. Oregon University’s marching band played the National Anthem before the game. Between the yellow and the reds of the spectators, the Rose Bowl appeared to be filled with light pink and canary petals.
4. The Buckeyes wore white jerseys, the Ducks green. The “O” in the Oregon helmet resembles a handcuff, especially when the helmet is white.
5. The field was a lush and dark green. The white yard numbers were outlined in dark orangey-red.
6. Today’s broadcast featured a spotty signal.
7. I imagine all the people watching this game at the stadium. How many of them are on Bookface? How many of them have wordpress blogs? Might I have indirectly interacted with them via blog or youtube commentary?
8. Did Brent Musberger say in the middle of the second quarter that LeGarrette Blount “became a father in the fall” ? As in there is small human being that possesses half of his DNA not-yet-running around?
9. Ohio State’s marching band performed during halftime. One of the songs they played was “I Heard It Through the Grapevine.” I like those big drums.
10. Sunset over the Rose Bowl at 8:02 east coast time was quite stunning. The sky a dark blue coat with patches of magenta fluffs.
Get game summary, stats, and play-by-play here.