Another season of NFL football is coming to a close. The Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers rang a round the New Orleans rosy tonight for the honor of declaring themselves champions. Phil Simms and Jim Nantz provided commentary for the game, televised on CBS.
Observations & Miscellania:
1. I watched sporadically during the first and second quarters. Beyonce performed during halftime. Methinks she sang live. There was a really cool performance section with a screen, backup dancers, and the following part where former Destiny’s Child members Kelly Rowand and Michelle Williams sprang up from below the stage.
2. Hmmm, if the Falcons were playing instead of the 49ers, what would the score be at the top of the third quarter? Ravens wide receiver Jacoby Jones made a 109 yd kick-off return for a touchdown, so at the top of the second half, Baltimore had 28 to San Francisco’s 6. If it were Atlanta in the Super Bowl, I wouldn’t be surprised if Baltimore were in the lead, but perhaps not by 22 points. It would be Ravens 14 and Falcons 10 or Raven 17 and Falcons 14.
3. The power went out in half of the Superdome! Hahah! Did Beyonce’s performance use too much juice? The outage lasted for about thirty-five minutes.
4. Being in semi-darkness for half an hour proved beneficial for the 49ers. They were able to shrink the score deficit to one possession by the bottom of the third quarter. The top of the fourth quarter was stunning–49ers QB propelled his body into the end zone. A two-point conversion was attempted but failed.
5. The bottom of the fourth quarter was quite thrilling as each time scored until the two-minute warning when the 49ers were poised to claim victory pending a TD, which did not happen. They did get a safety, though, when the Ravens punter couldn’t get out of the end zone.
6. Going back to what if the Atlanta Falcons were in this game. Who would be in the lead with fewer than eighty seconds to play? I’d like to think the Falcons.
7. Did Ravens QB Joe Flacco say, “That was fucking awesome!” to one of his teammates just minutes after his team won? The media was swarmed around him.
Baltimore 34 and San Francisco 31. Final score. The Baltimore Ravens have won the Super Bowl!!
Get game summary, stats, and play-by-play here.