The Raiders confiscated the Jets in overtime 16 to 13.
The Rams shoe-horned the Cowboys (sans Tony Romo) 34 to 14.
Now on to Sunday Night Football starring the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Seattle Seahawks. Seneca Wallace stepped in as Seattle quarterback because Matt Hasselbeck was out with an injury. Jeff Garcia was performing the equivalent role for Tampa Bay (Brian Griese wasn’t playing due to an injury). The first quarter started with a touchdown by Tampa Bay wide receiver Antonio Bryant. The second quarter progressed into eight minutes or so and Buccaneers running back Ernest Graham made a TD. Tampa Bay 14 and Seattle 0. The second quarter drew down to three minutes with more Buccaneers numbers in the form of a field goal. 17 to 0. The third quarter gave the Seahawks a field goal at ten minutes. Tampa Bay 17 and Seattle 3. The fourth quarter sailed down towards the bottom with a Buccaneers field goal. 20 to 3. Final score? Not yet. With two minutes left in the game, Seahawks tight end John Carlson caught the ball in the end zone. Tampa Bay 20 and Seattle 10. That would be the final score.
Observations & Miscellania:
2. Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren will not return to the helm at the end of the season.
3. Bud Light and Drinkability. I like the Pool Party one but not the Tailgaters one. A beer isn’t filling because a beer is empty calories. Unless a Bud Light isn’t filling because it won’t go down into the digestive system and sit there with carbonation building until one must belch or else.
5. Fullback Mike Alstott’s number 40 was retired by Tampa Bay during halftime.
6. Seattle kicker Olindo Mare’s field goal attempt in the third quarter was no good–it was filmed from behind him. There may have been skycam action. Very odd, visually.
7. With some three minutes left in the third quarter, I do believe Al Michaels said, “pulling a George Clooney and getting the first down” in reference to Buccaneers wide receiver Michael Clayton catching Garcia’s pass. Ah and indeed–“Michael Clayton” is also a film starring George Clooney.
Get game summary, stats, and play-by-play here.