Did the Dallas Cowboys win the East with their win over Detroit Lions (televised on fox)?
Cowboys kicker Nick Folk’s missed fifty-yard field goal attempt in the first quarter must have given the Lions enough of a spark that they scored when they next got possession of the ball. Running back TJ Duckett gave his team a touchdown in the half of the first quarter. The Lions got a field goal not long after the TD. Dallas would shorten that point gap with a touchdown from running back Marion Barber in the top of the second quarter. Detroit 10. Dallas 7.
That decreased gap increased again when the Lions put three more points on the board with a field goal. Detroit running back Kevin Jones enlarged that gap even more with a TD in the bottom of the second quarter. Marion Barber shrank that distance in the very, very bottom of the first quarter. Going into halftime, Dallas 14. Detroit 20.
In the third quarter, Lions Kevin Jones gave his team another touchdown. Detroit 27. Dallas 14. Cowboys Marion Barber made another TD in the bottom of the third quarter. Dallas 21. Detroit 27. But, soft what light through yonder window breaks? It is Cowboys tight end Jason Witten’s game-winning touchdown. Final score: Dallas 28. Detroit 27.
Observations & Miscellania:
1. The special teams coach for the Detroit Lions is a Cantonese fellow named Stan Kwan.
Asian Pride! O!o
2. Marion Barber’s TD in the bottom of the second quarter resulted in part from Dallas quarterback Tony Romo’s fifteen-yard dash for a first down (two plays prior to the TD).
3. Why are the referees wearing black pants with a white stripe on the side rather than the usual white pants?
4. The Cowboys won by one point (or one touchdown with a good extra point). I was convinced the Lions were going to win because Witten’s game-saving TD was made with about a minute left in the fourth quarter. What a way to right a wrong (Witten had fumbled the ball just in front of the end zone on the Cowboys’ possession earlier in the quarter).
5. Surprisingly, Dallas wide receiver Terrell Owens, who usually makes at least two touchdowns per game (oui?), didn’t put any points on the board today.
6. The Cowboys’ victory was also due to Detroit kicker Jason Hanson missing a field goal in the fourth quarter.
Get game summary, stats, and play by play here.
pic cred: detroitlions.com